Tuesday 23 February 2016

Winter '15 Gut Reactions

Diving straight in, the pile looked like this,
with the addition of three Christmas books (see previous blog entry).


Book of the Season immediately went to If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch, which blew me away.  It’s the story of a girl brought up in the woods for ten years. I don’t want to give too many spoilers away, because much of the skill in this book lies in the information unfurling. The book starts as she’s coming out of the woods and covers her initial rehabilitation into normal life while keeping a dark secret. I loved it and had to reread it straight off. It had me on the brink of tears at various times, it was heart-breaking and tender without resorting to any melodrama. I’d say it was a YA mix of Emma Donoghue’s Room and Sara Dessen’s Lock and Key.

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven looks at teen suicide and bipolar disorder. It was touching and sad, but more than that it really brought across the mystified feelings of grief and loss that those left behind experience in cases of suicide, while sympathetically showing that those who choose to leave us are unable to help themselves do otherwise. Again it's hard to write about without spoilers but the excellent dialogue meant I genuinely loved a key character, and couldn’t feel angry at them for doing what they do, which conflicted with my previous feelings on the subject. That is very vague- sorreee- but The Spoilers!

Being Billy by Phil Earle. This one did actually make me cry. Set in a children’s home, it’s a whole book of anger and frustration, yet has you rooting for the MC; despairing with him at the unfairness of his situation and cheering with him in his small victories. Utter rollercoaster.


Landline by Rainbow Rowell was a pleasure to read. She gives a snap shot of what is the scenario for many 40-something women, who get to reflect on their marriages and see that they have slipped, provoking them to consider what they really want. On top of the accurate observations, she writes and details sooo enviably well.
The Anatomy of Curiosity by Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff is a book I’d recommend if you have any interest in creative writing yourself, especially short stories. I’d suggest reading its predecessor, the short story anthology The Curiosities first, as you'll get a feel for the varied style of these three writers. Here they each have just the one story, but they deconstruct them to show how they got the ideas and what they focused on during writing. All good stories in themselves, but with an added layer of writing craft which was fascinating.


The other thoughts;
 One of these turned me off in chapter one. My negative reaction was to the premise of the book. I did read to the end, as the form was interesting; one half being one character’s POV and the second being the other character’s POV taking the action forward, but I couldn’t get past finding the story line itself unappealing.
 One of these books I wanted to love very very badly, because I think the writer is a goddess with a turn of phrase to die for. But I didn’t love it and I’m still trying to work out why. The POV wasn’t always consistent and that felt kind of sloppy.
One of these books has had a lot of hype in the UK but I found it an uncomforatable read, partly because I felt I’d read the same kind of thing before and partly because I felt I’d lived some of it before. The familiar story was personally painfully familiar.


The Spring pile is building and I’ll post it next week. Anyone read anything good lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment