Wednesday 1 June 2016

*Cue drumroll* My Summer '16 TBR pile

 IT’S SUMMER!!
 Pimms and Books, Bare feet and Books, Sunloungers and Books. Hurrah!
The pile looks like this:


They are:
After the Storm by Linda Castillo (Crime)
The Boy in the Smoke by Maureen Johnson (YA)
Spot the Difference by Juno Dawson (YA)
Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell (YA)
Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan (Women’s Fiction)
Bloodtide by Melvin Burgess (YA)
The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater (YA)
The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness (YA)
The Graveyard of the Hesperides by Lindsey Davies (Historical Crime)
Moranifesto by Caitlin Moran


And on the way I have this:

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell.(YA)




The Raven King is the last in Maggie Stiefvater’s Raven King Cycle and I’m both excited to read it (I have a gorgeous signed copy care of my Lovely CP) and apprehensive, as I read Maggie's blog when it released, and her plan was that when closing the book the reader should be left ‘wanting’. While it’s great to just-couldn’t-get-enough of a writer, I’m really hoping she doesn’t mean it has an open ending. I hates the open endings… And there had better be kissing, as she’s been V tight on the kissing in these books. Just sayin’.

Three of these books are World Book Day specials, from March. (They are the skinny ones.)

I have a male writer in there in the form of Melvin Burgess, who I am expecting controversial things from, and I also have my first transsexual writer in the mix in the form of Juno Dawson.

Caitlin Moran for those who don’t know her, writes social commentary but regards herself as a professional 'pointer'; she points at things and has an opinion on them. That she is mad as a box of frogs in her writing is the exciting bit. Her phrasing is fabulous and funny.

Patrick Ness wrote the truly fantastic Chaos Walking trilogy. The first, The Knife of Never Letting Go made me feel like I had been running nonstop through the book. The Rest of Us Just Live Here is his latest and I’m amused by the premise already; a YA story set amongst the regular kids who live in the background of paranormal/SciFi YA stories, where ‘indie kids' called Finn and Satchel must face their earth-threatening destinies. I suspect that there might be some mickey-taking going on…

The Jenny Colgan book I’ve had since Christmas, but couldn’t bring myself to read a summer book in the cold. Just like I couldn’t read a book set in snow while I was lying on a sunlounger.

The two crime books I am chomping at the bit to get to, but they are in fact part of my Mum and Dad’s birthday presents, so I’ll have to wait until they are done. One is set in Ancient Rome, the other in Amish country. I have a fascination with both.

I’ll let you know how I got on at the end of August.

What are you reading with your Pimms, bare feet on your sunlounger?
(* For those in the southern hemisphere (Hi Maggie!), what are you reading with your hot chocolate, thick slippers in your blankets on the sofa?) 

No comments:

Post a Comment