Thursday 1 September 2016

*Cue fanfare of rustling leaves* My Autumn '16 TBR Pile

I had planned for a smaller pile this season as I really need to be writing, but then this happened; 


The Widow by Fiona Barton (Thriller)
The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton (Historical Fiction)
Jackaby by William Ritter (MG)
Lockwood & Co (X 3) by Jonathan Stroud (MG)
Dinner for Two by Mike Gayle (Commercial Fiction)
Café Tropicana by Belinda Jones (Commercial/Women’s Fiction)
Picture me gone by Meg Rosoff (YA)
Another Day by David Levithan (YA)
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (YA)

Plus there are two incoming;
End Game by Alan Gibbons (YA)
and another Lockwood & Co title.

Ok, so there are four titles in the same series there, the Lockwood & Co bunch. I’ll confess I've just finished the first, hence my need to read all the series. (I know it wasn't officially Autumn yet, and technically beyond the rules, but as I set the rules and was without a book then it’s been keenly negotiated and allowed.)

Everyone is talking about The Widow at the mo, so I want to know why.

Everyone was talking about The Miniaturist last year, so I want to know why.

Meg Rosoff writes really interesting books, so the latest jumped off the shelf at me.

Jackaby got a good review somewhere that I now can’t remember, but it had made it onto my “look for” list.

David Levithan is a YA god (FACT), and Another Day is an alternative view of his book Everyday, and I LOVE books that are alternative views. Win, win! I stumbled across it in the library and got very excited.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl was made into a film that I haven’t seen. It won the Sundance Audience Award in 2015, which is very commendable, but I still have no idea what it’s about, other than what the title suggests. See how On the edge I live…?

The blurb for End Game reminds me of the story I have in my head that I am still too chicken to write. I thought I should investigate it, either to scare me more or to encourage me.

Café Tropicana & Dinner for two are my token Commercial Fiction books in this pile, which looking at it is unusually male-author heavy; like 9/13. That hasn’t happened in a very long time. I’m often looking to make up the male quota. Perhaps this will balance things out.

Gut reactions to follow at the end of November.


Have a great Autumn. What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment