Thursday 20 December 2012

Fa la la la lah, La la la laaaaaah........

 Currently my head has hit capacity given the Christmas furore; the purchasing, the wrapping, the planning, the imminent end of school, not to mention the vital mince pie scoffing... And much as I am still able to write every day, thanks to my slavish devotion to 750words.com, regular blogging is about to cease until after the main event. Sorry. It's the blog or the mulled wine drinking, and well... y'know...

 BUT I won't leave you with nothing. It is the season of giving after all, so I am going to direct you (the writers of you out there) to something else for the next few days (- as if you  don't also have planning, mulled wine drinking and wrapping to do, or maybe you are that űber-organised bod who has all this malarky covered already...)

Notes from the Slushpile are running their Twelve days of Christmas blog event, and if you haven't visited it yet, then it features a different agent or editor each day, sharing their 2013 submissions wishes. CLUES!!!  It's good to know what they want sometimes and well worth a nosy.

Meanwhile, to the writers and the non-writers alike, have a very Merry Christmas, all five of you and those who lurk too (I know you must exist, as five members can’t be viewing the blog over and over again every day. Don’t think you fly under the radar - I have the stats!) I'm also wishing you lots of excellent ideas and excitement for 2013.

9 comments:

  1. Oooh how scary, you're stalking us back with your stats counter. And a very merry mulled wine to you too.

    I've already checked out Notes from the Slushpile. If you're a good plotter, I'd be onto the Nancy Drew style story ASAP.

    I'm appearing on KT Crowley's Baker's Dozen losers' list on 26.12 but I'm not telling you which is mine because I hate it so much. Ha. Contests make me freak out and lose my naturally deft and brilliant style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Fingers crossed for you on the 26th! You are brave. I'd find it much harder to send something I'd written to an open competition than to an agent or publisher. Which I know is daft as there is so much good feedback to be had.
      Will try to guess which is yours - even if you hate it!

      Delete
    2. me again, Elizabeth. I've assumed that you are a Brit, most likely because I read in a Uk accent. < yes My world is very blinkered...) Would I be looking for an British sounding entry? I assumed that the Never entry that we were following in the Bakers Dozen was by a UK writer, but I could be wrong. What did you think?

      Delete
  2. Never was definitely written by a Brit - I think. I'll do a bit of detective work and see if I can find out who it is. Isn't this fun????? What else do we have to do but look after kids and stalk, right? Great life.

    Okay, so mine is The Art of Making Gravy and yes I seized up with nerves trying to make it perfect and made a mess but I've got a much better intro now. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stalking is so misunderstood. Prefer "attentive following"...:)
      Love your title. As soon as I get a calm minute I intend to spend some time over on the site, perusing the brave entries.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the super helpful comments, Pernille. That was kind of you.

    I had to laugh about the 'confident' writing when I was sweating like a heifer. Interested to think you thought there was suicide on the agenda. Noooo, too scary. It's supposed to be more of a caper and a Mazda suits a nerd, don't you think.

    My detective work for Never has come up nix. We'll see her published though I'd say. If there's any other 'attentive following' work to be done (or a critique or two) drop me a line by e-mail so I don't have to make so many embarrassing comments in public.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - saw you were reading Duff. So interested to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished it this evening, and about to read back over the exchanges between Bianca and Wesley. I really enjoyed it. It struck me a smart YA Contemporary writing, right in the tracks of Sara Dessen, with less tame language and behaviour.

      Delete