Thursday 29 November 2012

NaShoStoWriPaMo - Catchy, right?


So it has been NaNoWriMo, and as mentioned before, I don't join in as it isn't something I think I can constructively cram in right now. I ignore my kids enough already as it is. 

 But I do like the idea -on the understanding that what you have at the end is a raw splurge of words that you can then work with, as opposed to something ready to send out. And so, I made my own little month, and not because I can’t play nicely with other kids, but because I knew what was feasible for me.

 Therefore I present to you, NaShoStoWriPaMo, that is National Short Story Writing Part Month. (It's a part month as I knew that realistically I wouldn’t get to work on it properly at the weekends.) Aptly, National Short Story Week also fell in the middle. (OK, maybe that was coincidence, but let’s call it serendipity, yes?)


So today I finished a first splurge draft for a short story. Or maybe a 26,500 word outline for something bigger. And given that I have been blocked for months now, that feels just great. It was so good to fill the blank pages, and to rediscover how just doing it spawns lots of new ideas as you go, rather than just sitting there, waiting for  an idea to hit and stressing over the fact that it didn't.

Sometimes you just have to shape your next journey to something attainable and start with the small steps. 

1 comment: