Monday 27 May 2013

Spring '13 Gut Reactions


 Well looky looky, -the gut reactions posted at the right time this season, (i.e before the launch of the next pile.) Who'd have thought?

 So, the round up looks like this:

 The Spring books are listed here.

The sneaky extras were;
Rocked Under – Cora Hawkes
Twisted Perfection – Abby Glines
Hopeless – Colleen Hoover
Walking Disaster – Jamie McGuire
If I Stay – Gayle Foreman
Where She Went – Gayle Foreman
Just One Day – Gayle Foreman

(Kody Keplinger's Shut Out got postponed from the UK for a really long time, apparently.)

The Name-checks;

Star of the List; The Sky is Everywhere. It was a close call with John Green, but I’m going with the debut novel. I gushed about it here. By sheer chance I managed to get into a mini-run of books about Bereavement. This one just shone.

John Green- I love thee so. I adore his dialogue. I have a wee quibble with the plot in The Fate in our Stars, but as a whole I am willing to overlook it, just because the sum of its parts, his characters and the dialogue just did it for me. (And no, I didn't cry, but that is only because I have a heart of stone...)

David Levithan- I love thee so, too.  These two are my literary boyfriends. I don't think they'll mind that I am two-timing.

Rainbow Rowell – I enjoyed Attachments for the brilliantly realistic email exchanges. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on Eleanor & Park which everyone is raving about.

Kristin Cashore’s Bitterblue was pleasure. It’s the third in a sort of series, Graceling and Fire were companion books and this one brought them together, albeit in a slightly rushed fashion, but I'll forgive it as I love her phrasing, and her characters and their world.

It has been a season of some yummy blokes;
Joe Fontaine (The Sky is Everywhere)
Augustus (The Fault in our Stars)
Travis (Walking Disaster)
Holder (Hopeless)
Woods (Twisted Perfection)
Yessss, some of them are bad boys

And then the other thoughts;
    * One book I had to give up after 15 pages as the speech did my head in. I accept that to sustain it for a whole book is impressive, but I couldn’t handle any more of it.
   * One book I gave up the first time after chapter 7 and asked my dad if he would read it for me instead and tell me what happened. Spookily, he was already reading it himself and loving it. He told me to keep reading. I made it to chapter 10. And then skipped the end. I get a point for effort.
   * One book had me wanting to slap the female MC for poor behavior. The author didn’t seem to agree.
   *I always read the acknowledgements in a book, mainly to see who the author’s agent is and also to see their writer friends. This season I’ve noticed one writer-friends group’s plots are getting more similar, as are their turns of phrase.
   *One book sharply reminded me why I crave a happy ending. Boo Hiss!!

I’m ready for the Summer TBR pile now. Bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, ya gotta name names so I don't end up wasting my time on the duds above!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So my mummy always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." And while I already part broke the rule, I figure that mean things I might say will come back to bite me on the bum later.
      (I'll email you the names...)

      Delete