Friday 12 October 2012

Mmmmmmmm Cake... Creative Distractions (Pt 2)

I confess I have a very weak spot for cake. Both making and consuming. To be fair, one generally follows the other with a rapid pace. That might even be rabid pace. The foaming at the mouth is somewhat similar.
I'm wondering whether it is a creative mulling mechanism, as mentioned in the post below. (See, I am trying to make it sound more worthy than me just being a glutton.) And in this search for worthiness, I can see that I am not the only writer who likes to bake.
Nicola Morgan is back with her new blog here, where she has posted a recipe for űber healthy Brain Bars. (She also does a Brain Cake, for those who want to make guests smarter). Aside from her fiction, Nicola also writes books about brains. As one does. Particularly teen brains. Her book Blame My Brain sheds fascinating light on just what it is that's going on in a teen brain that makes them behave as they do. I recommend that you do the Emotions test. Suddenly a large proportion of teen behaviour makes sense. What a revelation.
So her recipe for brain boosting bars is one I shall be sampling on the spawn shortly.
 A wee while ago Sara Dessen shared her recipe for Magic Bars, which I actually have some of on my kitchen counter as I write. They are The Yum, and have the added benefit of being a fantastic dumping ground for all the odds and ends in your kitchen cupboard. I think of them as bin bars, to be honest. It's amazing what coconut and condensed milk can cover. And I can get highly creative with what I'll hide under it. The kids haven't a clue...
 But to tie this properly in with writing, (Tenuous? Moi?) I have to flag up a recipe by Maggie Stiefvater, which she posted while writing The Scorpio Races. The deadly horse race of the title takes place in November on the island of Thisby. Part of the celebrations includes November cakes. Not only did Maggie describe these mouth-watering cakes in delicious detail, she actually invented them specifically for the book.  How is that for attention to the detail of one's creative craft?  Plus, making them (and scoffing them) for research purposes must have been a completely justifiable distraction for her.
And that isn't tenuous. It's just plain Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment