Monday 9 July 2012

Critical friends

One of the best things I’ve done while being a writer is find my Lovely Critique Partner.
We swap and critique 50 pages at a time (or whole stories when the occasion arises) and her thoughts and advice on my writing have been worth their weight in gold. We read similar books, and write mostly in the same genre.  She understands when I am frustrated with the words, she understands my need to eat rejection-chocolates. She gives a stirring pep-talk and doesn't flinch from kicking butt when I am being pitiful. I value her judgment over anyone else’s who sees my work, and yet, funnily, if I passed her in the street I wouldn’t know her from Eve.
We met via a critique partner hook-up on Maggie Stiefvater’s website, where I’d posted an ad, and she responded. It’s now been over a year and LCP and I email regularly, not just about the writing but about general life too – so not just a critique partner, but a friend too.
So I wanted to flag up that there is another such Critique Partner Hook-up going on at the moment, but this time over on Miss Snark’s First Victim. If you don’t have a critique partner already, I can’t recommend them enough. Take a punt, post an ad and see who turns up. You can always walk away or alternatively you could walk on with a new friend and someone who supports you and your writing to boot.
What have you got to lose?  

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I've been looking for a crit partner for a long time. I shall definitely consider this. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is worth a shot, and it is OK to shop around. Try swapping with a few and see who is on your wavelength. Provided that you have reciprocated with the feedback, there is no animosity if you choose not to do it again. Good luck if you go for it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, my ego just grew! Thanks for the lovely words. Best thing I ever did as well (writing-wise). Yes, I totally agree, if you don't already have one, get a CP.

    ReplyDelete